What You Need To Know About Conservatorships And Guardianships

There are occasions where either you are asked or it becomes obvious that you need to take an active role in helping another person manage elements of their life.

For a minor child, parents may no longer be capable of providing for the basic needs due to a prison sentence, tragic fatal accident or for some other reason. An adult may become incapacitated due to the onset of dementia or a serious injury or illness.

Assuming the role of conservator or guardian can be a fulfilling role. However, creating legal rights and obligations requires an effective presentation of that person's needs and your ability to adequately carry out that role.

I am attorney Rossana Mitchell. At my Chino Hills firm, the Law Offices of Rossana Mitchell, I bring a keen understanding of what must be done to create a conservatorship or guardianship. My staff and I have the kind of experience that can help you make a difference in the life of another who is in need.

  • Conservatorship — If an adult is no longer able to manage their own affairs for reasons of diminished mental capacity or some other reason, the court can be asked to appoint you as a conservator. In that role, you will be able to manage that person's finances and make decisions for them to help protect their rights and interests.
  • Guardianship — If a child is without a parent who is available and competent to meet the child's needs, or there was no provision in a will or estate plan, the court can be asked to appoint a guardian. A guardian has similar rights and obligations as a conservator.

Help Obtaining Protection

At the Law Offices of Rossana Mitchell, my staff and I can explain the guardianship or conservatorship process and help you through each step.

To make sure a loved one has necessary protection in place, call toll free 888-631-4938 or send us a message to set up an initial consultation. Se habla Español.